The Manor House and Formal Garden
Henry Neville Gladstone and his wife Maude Ernestine acquired the Burton Estate in Cheshire from the Congreves in 1903, commissioning the architect Sir Charles Nicholson to extend and remodel the house in an Arts and Crafts style, renaming it Burton Manor. An orangery was added in 1910, with the Gladstones leaving to take over the family estate at Hawarden a decade later. Some time later, the manor was requisitioned for military purposes and it was the base for the Navy, Army and Air Force Institutes (NAAFI) during World War 2. It was established as an adult residential college in 1948.
The grade II listed formal garden was designed by Thomas Mawson in 1908. Typical of the design of Mawson, the formal gardens have sandstone features encompassing a terrace, formal beds, lawns and a pool, leading the eye to views of the natural landscape, in this case the Dee Estuary.
The Sunken Garden
Separated from the formal garden by a lattice gateway, the sunken garden provided a more sheltered, private space for the Congreve family with roses and shrubs populating its beds and borders. Overlooked by an impressive Copper Beech (the ‘Waterloo Tree’ – believed to celebrate the battle), this area was at one time a part of the main entrance drive which then extended further east to Puddington Lane.
Recently, we’ve planted an orchard of apple varieties dating from the 19th century. These are still found in today’s shops because of their excellent fruit quality.